6.03.2008

When a church dies...


Two months ago, on the back of the bulletin, there was one announcement and 17 people with contact information. Seventeen people to contact to get plugged in at church, but only one activity worth mentioning. That, my friends, is the writing on the wall. A community such as that surely must be dying, and in fact has now died.

Do I blame the overseers, who pruned the vision of our little congregation? No. Do I blame our leadership team? Yes. Fourteen people whose passion should have built up our church, yet squabbled so much that we didn't even know who we were anymore. If they cared so much about reaching people in the community, it would have been a drastically different story.

So what now? I feel relief and happiness. I have held the belief that people should be there for their church, and not the other way around. I am not a consumer of worship. I stuck it out for over three years with this church, hoping things would turn around. I have compromised my own faith and my wife's faith in doing so. I have compromised on expecting solid teaching, on the prominence of Scripture, on a diverse community, on dozens of things related to the church experience. No more.

We are liberated, and are going to take full advantage. We are church shoppers now, and won't buy until we feel there are no compromises to be made in doing so.

No comments: