6.14.2006

In your face, Togo!

Paying attention to the World Cup makes me very nostalgic for 1998. I really wish I did a better job of living it up and documenting that year. It's the kind of thing they make movies out of these days. A group of friends sitting on a sidewalk cafe on the Champs Elysees while Tunisian soccer fans celebrate in the streets. Sounds like a show on FOX where each week someone dies. But I digress.

We have a World Cup pool here in the office. We randomly drew teams and I got South Korea, Germany, Ecaudor, and Trinidad & Tobago. Not one of these teams has lost yet. I'm pumped. It looked for a while yesterday like Togo was going to take down SK, but come on, they're TOGO. Can you find Togo on a map? I couldn't until yesterday.

One thing that really irritated me is that so many people around here jumped so quickly off the US bandwagon. Before Monday it was all "yeah we can make the finals, as long as we don't play Brazil." And I swear that within ten minutes of the start of their match against the Czech Republic people around here were making fun of the US as a bunch of chokers. That really ticked me off. If you're going to be a fan, be a fan. It got me thinking about the nature of fanship. I'm not above making fun of the teams I support. I'll rip on the Vikings after a loss. But I'll wait until AFTER the loss. Being down one goal isn't something to panic about. Sure the US lost 3-0, but wait until the match is done, boneheads. And at least hold out hope that your team is going to get better. Despairing is not something a fan should ever do. Fairweather fans (read "US, Broncos and Vikings fans") tick me off so much sometimes. That's one thing that I begrudgingly hand to the Packers. They got some die-hard fans.

No comments: