9.26.2006

Bye bye Saturn.

Did you ever have an emotional attachment to a car? Whenever a television commercial comes on with the whole "We Americans Love Our Cars" theme--for auto insurance, oil filters, what have you--I get a little cynical, like a political commercial telling us to elect this guy to protect our children, only with cars.

Well, the reason I bring this up is because I finally sold my Saturn SW1 today. It's been sitting around since we bought a ZX2 in June, but I finally posted it on craigslist and it flew away. (Sidenote: craigslist is the best way to sell a car EVER. I cannot stress this enough.) It's now in the possession of a very nice young missionary couple from Sweden. And last night, after I accepted the offer they gave me (too little in my opinion, but it's more than nothing), I sat in bed and thought about all the good times I've had in that car.

There was a time in my life when I drove 180 miles a day between home and college. Some people ogle at that number, but I wouldn't trade those days for the world. How many songs did I sing at the top of my lungs speeding down a pitch black interstate in central Minnesota? How many days did that thing lug my golf clubs around? I fell in love with sports talk radio in that car. We went to seven states, me and the Saturn. We took the Mrs. to the drive-in. It was the getaway car at my wedding, for crying out loud.

I guess I don't really have a point here but I just wanted to say that it's not silly to have a sentimental connection with your car. And even though I'll be sad for a couple hours, I hope that in a few years I have just as many happy memories with my ZX2.

No comments: