9.11.2006

I love football.

I don't know why I bother picking in weeks one or two. It's such a crapshoot, I may as well not try. I'm a solid 6-8 so far this week, yeesh.

I was going to lead off with a scathing rant about the Packers. Fortunately for me, Dan Shanoff already got me covered, with a little piece he calls Brett Favre Absolutely Sucks. Props, Dan. In a related note, I've decided that I won't smack talk anybody's team here at the office unless they bring it up. Civility needs to be maintained, even though all four of my department's other teams lost this week (Broncos, Packers, Cowboys, Cheifs). I'd love to be the only winner in the office come tomorrow.

Terrell Owens can suck a big fatty. The whole world is watching his every move, just waiting for the moment he blows up again. The thing is, that won't stop him. He will blow up again because he has so little control over himself. At least Randy Moss knows when to lay low.

What's up with that NFL on FOX robot in the lower corner, just warming up while they parade out the sponsors? Is anyone's football viewing experience enhanced by this? Is anyone left unperplexed by this? Am I the only one that notices this?

My oh my did Jake Plummer suck yesterday. I was able to watch some of his second half with Broncos fans, and they were ALL calling for his head. The Cutler era will commence before week eight, I give you my word.

Props to me, for drafting Reggie Bush way too high and riding him (and others) to a fantasy football victory yesterday. He's solid. Now if only he can put in a couple touchdowns a week.

Ok, let's get this whole Manning thing over with. First of all, there's been a lot of speculation over whether losing Edgerrin James would hurt the Colts' running game. And they had the perfect response to that line of questioning: "Yes, it will hurt our running game, but screw you, we don't need to run." There were times last night when the Giants were in their dime formation (rushing only three) and Peyton was still picking apart the secondary. Take that, pundits. And while we're talking about Peyton, does he even bother calling plays in the huddle anymore? He audibles on every single play anyway. Does he just call formations and keep his teammates guessing every bit as much as opposing defenses? I did enjoy seeing how the Giants would call defensive audibles right over the top of Peyton's calls. Plan on seeing a LOT more of this in the future. And that DirecTV commercial with the three Mannings, it kinda made me puke. But at the end when someone (I forget who) drops the eggs and they audible on the pancakes, I half expected Mike Vanderjagt to walk through the kitchen so Peyton could throw him under another bus.

If you're a gambling type, take the under on tonight's Redskins/Vikings game. The Skins didn't score a point on their first team offense all preseason, and the Vikings didn't give up a touchdown on their first team defense all preseason. It won't be pretty, but when the dust settles I expect the Vikes to have a big road win.

Finally, who else has Twins fever?! This is historic! Down by double digits in the AL Central less than a month ago, the Twins are now only 2 games back of Detroit! And they'll be getting Liriano back soon. This is one scary, scary team. Look out Yankees. Especially you, A-Fraud.

No comments: