9.09.2006

College football quick rundown.

Some thoughts from Week 2:

1. The Notre Dame Hype Machine may cause nausea at an unprecedented pace, but I will always enjoy watching Irish home games as long as they have those plain diagonal lines in the endzones. Something just feels right about that.

2. Notre Dame's more-demeaning-than-a-legend-like-Jeo-Pa-deserves beatdown of Penn State will likely launch them back to #2 in the polls. Which is fitting, because in my mind golden boy quarterback Brady Quinn will always be number two.

3. Beyond Ohio State and Michigan, is there anyone in the Big Ten worth watching? Purdue needed overtime to beat Miami of Ohio, Iowa needed double overtime to edge Big East bottom-feeders Syracuse, and Illinois didn't even show up in a drubbing to Rutgers. The Big Ten is the new Big Twelve.

4. At this rate, how high would they have to set the over/under on the Nov. 2 West Virginia/Louisville game for me to take the under? About 350.

5. I don't want to come off as a bleeding-heart humanitarian here, but when I heard that an Ohio State benefactor contributed $225,000 to bring the marching band down to Austin for the big game, I just about puked. I would almost feel better if they had just spent it on hookers and blow.

6. Colt McCoy is twelve years old. I swear he is. Beyond the "oh that has to be ripped of from Varsity Blues" name, he doesn't have a lot going for him. Did you see that interception he threw in the third quarter? From the Madden-cam replay, I don't know how he didn't see the linebacker camping right there. Right effing there. I'm still saying to myself, "I can't believe he threw it."

7. Air Force had a chance to make a statement win, albeit against an overrated Tennessee team. But then Fisher DeBerry happened. How am I ever supposed to take that guy seriously?

8. Kansas edged perennial powerhouse UL-Monroe to the tune of 21-19. Congratulations, Paul. You must be very proud.

9. I bought Now I Can Die in Peace on Friday. I love it. My man-crush on Bill Simmons makes my innocent infatuation on Chuck Klosterman look like the way the hot girls treated me in high school. Still laughing.

No comments: