8.23.2006

Matt Talbott.

Matt Talbott is the greatest lyricist of all time. Billy Corgan, Bob Dylan, Conor Oberst, they got nothin'. For those not in the know (in this case, just about everybody), Matt Talbott was the guitarist/singer of Hum, one of my top five bands of all time and certainly the most underrated band ever. The fact that "Downward is Heavenward" only sold 30,000 copies before Hum was dropped from their label is astounding. It's top three albums ever, easy. Anyway, I'm going to learn to write more cryptic, poetic lyrics to my songs in the hope that I can be awesome too. I even designed an album cover that unapologetically rips off Hum.


If you haven't listened to Hum, do it. Please. I beseech you. It's not often I beseech, but there it is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

doesn't it seem like a backwards plan to write lyrics like someone who, great songwriter or not, was dropped from their label and that from what you've written sounds like no one got?

Nick Lee said...

Indeed. Backwards like a fox. Wait a minute, foxes aren't backwards! FOXES AREN'T BACKWARDS!!!! Temper check, ok. I don't know, I suppose since nobody's ever going to even put me on their label in the first place, I may as well have some artistic integrity.

Anonymous said...

good call, artistic integrity is where it's at.