8.04.2006

Talkin' 'bout movies.


I saw Pirates of the Caribbean 2 last night at the drive-in theater in Pueblo. It's only the second good thing I've ever seen in Pueblo, the other being a surprisingly well-appointed library. The movie was OK. The first one set the bar pretty high, and though this one kept me entertained for the most part, it did seem to go over the top at points. Orlando Bloom still can't act his way out of a wet paper bag. I'd see it again, but I wouldn't pay for it. Being at the drive-in was great though. I don't go nearly enough. It's where real blue collar Americans come. I have this wonderful nostalgic vision in my head from forgotten ages past of a small town at dusk on a hot summer night. Cracked pavement, rusting cars, ugly neon lights. I got pretty close to that vision last night. I enjoyed it immensely.

One more unrelated movie note, about going to see The Break-Up last week. I absolutely hate those E! slides they have before the movie. They serve absolutely no point but to make me irate. There was one slide that was a quote from Cameron Diaz saying, "I love older men. Oh, my God. Totally." ... I wish I had just been kicked in the nuts instead. There was less than no redeeming quality about putting up a slide like that. Not only does E! make me sick (mostly because celebrity culture makes me sick), but it's like they choose the absolute dumbest quotes to put on these slides. It's like they're doing everything in their power to take away Americans' ability to think. Don't think, just buy. I personally don't care if Halle Berry always has to be different when it comes to fashion. I really don't. I think it's actually pretty sad to have that kind of restraint on your self-identity. But it's even sadder that by seeing that quote, many people have their own self-identity called into question. Am I different enough? Am I properly expressing who I am through the clothes I wear? Do I have anything in my wardrobe that somebody else has? I NEED NEW CLOTHES! Call me a cynical crank if you must, but you know I'm right.

You know I'm right.

No comments: