3.21.2007

On writing.

I got myself a Jack Kerouac anthology from the library yesterday. I'm trying to be more writerly. I'm trying to watch a lot of PBS and read the classics in the hope that it'll help me be a better author. You've probably skimmed over the first three sections of a book I'm trying to write, and passed them off as amateurish and boring. Sweet. Well no more sections for you until I'm done. This is not a serial. That being said, I am in the process of writing.

The biggest thing holding me back at this point is simply motivation. I don't want to write more because I'm afraid it will screw up what came before. I can't take failure, and a perfect idea seems more appealing than a mediocre result. Wah wah wah.

I wrote the fourth section last night. The whole project is running about 12 pages right now. In my estimation that's about 5% done. At this rate, it'll probably be around 2030 when I finish. Or I could just suck it up and get on with it, in which case maybe I'll have a draft by the end of the year.

It feels good to finally live out my dream of writing a novel.

No comments: