7.27.2006

Sports, sports, sports.

It's a great day to be a Minnesota sports fan. And even though I know the majority of my 3-reader audience doesn't care, I'm going to talk a good sports rant today.


First, the Twins. Oh yes. Eight games under .500 in early June? Not a problem. Nine games out of the wild card race a month ago? No sweat. It's kind of irritating that there are three (almost four or five) divisions that the Twins could be leading, but since they're in the AL central, it's impossible. But sweeping the team that up until a couple weeks ago was considered the best team in the majors is rather satisfying. (In their house, no less.) Am I worried about the Yankees being a half game in the lead for the wild card? Hecks no. Hecks no at all. Bring it, you overspending, east coast-centric, underachieving such-and-suches.


And now, the Vikings. Rookies report to training camp today, so I declare that the Sports Abyss is officially over for another year. And since I'm one of the masterminds behind footballprophets.com, I thought it would be appropriate for me to do a preseason preview. I feel like John Clayton. Quick, where's Sean Salisbury? I need to kick him in the crotch.

Quarterback
Brad Johnson is ready to go. He's not the best quarterback, but he's smart and he fits perfectly into the offensive scheme. His numbers won't be gaudy, but he's exactly what we need in the QB slot. If he goes down, though, we're screwed. I don't trust our backups, even though I do think Tarvaris Jackson is the future face of the Vikings.

Running Backs
Chester Taylor and Mewelde Moore got that $&!@ on lockdown. Joe Echimandu and Ciatrick Fason reprezent as well. Honestly, even I could rush for a thousand yards in this scheme, which brings us to...

Offensive Line
Words don't describe my excitement for this line. Honestly, we got four Pro Bowl-caliber players here. They should never allow a sack all season. With McKinnie, Hutchinson, Birk, and Hicks, (not to mention Richardson and Kleinsasser at fullback) there should be no game that the Vikings don't rush for 100 yards at least. Even against the Bears.

Wide Receivers
Similar to running back, it shouldn't really matter who's here. As long as they can run clean routes and hold on to the ball, we're golden. This whole offensive scheme won't light anyone up, but it will be dominating if all the pieces stay healthy.

Defensive Line
As long as the ends stay healthy, it's going to be a long season for opposing rushing schemes. I can't say how much I enjoy watching Pat Williams do his thing.

Defensive Backs
I love the recent addition of Dwight Smith. With him and Sharper as the ball-hawking safeties in the newly-installed Tampa Two defense, we should do well. Smoot has yet to impress me, but this could be his year.

Linebackers
This, as everyone will tell you, is our problem. Every year Mike Tice would talk up the LBs, and every year they underperformed. We haven't had a good linebacker corps since Eddie McDaniel left. Maybe the drought goes back to Scott Studwell. But this year, Brad Childress is talking up the linebackers. So for now, I'm drinking the kool aid. Maybe this will be the year the whole defense pushes itself into the upper tier.

Special Teams
I like Ryan Longwell. It's about time he started making kicks to win us games. I'm worried about the return game as KRob won't be on the case anymore, but maybe Moore will step in nicely. Kluwe is the man.

Overall
I think Childress has done a masterful job of assembling a contender. If they stay healthy and get a couple breaks, I'm not going to count the Vikes out of the NFC championship game. Especially from a weak division.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aai just thought I'd throw in a kind of neat (to me) thing. My brother-in-law threw out the first pitch at the Twins game a bit ago. From Iraq.