7.31.2006

Start heavy, finish light.

It's a little odd in my mind how I've become much more well, I guess there's no better word for this, liberal since I got out here to Colorado Springs. It's kind of the evangelical Christian mecca, and I was a little concerned that I would get swept to sea in a tide of conservativeness. So imagine my surprise when after a year and a half here my interests in social justice and human rights far outweigh my interest in the war of the week.

This hit home a little bit, though, at church last night, in a sermon that danced around Luke 3. It's a chapter about John the Baptist, and there's about four verses that rocked me. Stuff in brackets is my paraphrasing.

John said to the crowds coming out to be baptized by him, "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath? Produce fruit in keeping with repentance [as a sign that you have repented and changed your ways]. And do not begin to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' [Don't even try to count on your religiosity to save you.] For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire. [If you claim to be religious, start pulling your weight or else.]"

And the people around were all, "Dang, we're in a tight spot. What do we do?" And what does John the Baptist say back to them? Join up with Focus on the Family to fight inferior political and moral ideologies? Attend church as much as you can, but especially on Easter and Christmas? Join up with a Bible study and volunteer with the high school youth group?

John answered, "Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same."

What?!

His idea of "proof that you've been saved" is that you give to the needy?

Crap crap crap crap crap crap.

But the needy smell bad, and I'm kind of afraid that some of them are insane. Isn't there another way? Something like signing petitions or giving a little money to a faceless charity? Do I really have to take a direct, active role in helping the people who I claim to love but in truth get nervous every time I see one of them?

So you can see my pickle. I feel like I need to get involved and stop being so indifferent but it's not something I'm excited about, even though I subconsciously see myself as a "man of the people" type. Grrr.

On the lighter side: I own fantasy baseball. PCs are stupid stupid stupid. Wireless routers (and particularly their setup) are also. August 7th is too early to start a school year. I own a Kylie Minogue album, and I listen to it a lot.

Peace.

No comments: