9.15.2006

Diet Coke rockets, playgrounds, and fantasy football pranks.

Coworker Dan was telling us today about how his grandkids were climbing on the outside of playground equipment and jumping off of it. That makes me feel good. It's been a disturbing ride, seeing steel monkey bars and metal slides on asphalt replaced by soft foam, molded plastic, and wood chips. I was afraid the kids of America were going soft. But if they're still using the playground equipment improperly, if they're jumping from swings, then they'll get tough. We need those stupid kids to fight our wars someday.

Speaking of stupid kids, how about Mentos and Diet Coke rockets? It warms a special place inside me to see YouTube clips of teenagers firing off homemade rockets and giggling like idiots. It reminds me of making a homemade spud cannon with my 40-year-old neighbor. I can only imagine the horror my parents felt, coming home from the grocery store to find Steve and I putting matches inside a PVC pipe filled with flammable gasses. Good times.

I pulled what I'll declare is the best fantasy football warning prank of my life today. Paul, last year's champion and one of three confirmed readers of this blog, stepped out of his cubicle this morning just before I stopped by to drop off some stuff. He should know better than to leave his fantasy football page open with his password saved. Knowing I had to do something fast, I quickly maneuvered to the "add a running back" page. What a delight to see Justin Fargas of the Oakland Raiders still untaken. Well I just thought Paul needed him. I selected Fargas, and uh oh, his roster is full. He'll need to drop somebody. You know, I think Edgerrin James is due for a monumental collapse, let's get rid of him. Luckily for Paul, there's a "do you really want to do this?" page, with confirm and cancel buttons. That's good enough. For me to actually go through with this move would require a skosh more evil than I'm capable of. But for him to come back to this screen is beautiful. Headgames, that's my edge. I'll be dominating my league before you know it. I can get to anyone, anywhere. Nobody's safe.

No comments: