10.27.2006

Week 8 picks.

Again, more random thoughts before I dive in:

1. PhilTube. Funniness. It's my stated purpose to use the word "blog" in at least six conversations over the next week. Moreover, I want to start ending my phone calls with, "You should be blogging."

2. It blizzarded here yesterday. There were words like "legendary" being thrown around on the news last night. Weathercasters, newspersons, can we just cut it with the hyperbole? It was a foot of snow. It's already halfway melted. We had one snow day out of it, let's not lose our heads over it. Ironically, Academy Blvd. was in much better shape this time around.

3. If you like college hockey (and you really need to punched in the head if you don't), you have to like this weekend's matchup between St. Cloud State and North Dakota. Fireworks galore. And whoodathunkit that professional hockey would be the hot topic in Minny this time around?

4. It has been a strange week. Some friends of ours had twins on Monday. When we visited them on Tuesday, the babies were in ICU because their lungs hadn't fully formed. I can't imagine how hard that must be, but we got to see them and they were so tiny and I instantly realized how a parent can love their child so much. I'm kind of psyched to have kids of my own someday. Then on Wednesday, an aunt of mine died unexpectedly. I've only met her a couple times because she lives across the country, but it's still hard to have to deal with death. I guess this was just one of those weeks that make you think more big picture than normal.

Ok, now let's get down to the nitty gritty. I'm particularly pumped to be laying out another slate of genius upset picks:

MINNESOTA (+2 1/2) over New England
I can't even tell you how much I'm looking forward to Monday night. I really don't understand how the Patriots are road favorites against a 4-2 team that just dismantled the reigning NFC champs. Chock it up to the East Coast Media Bias I guess. Maybe after this game the Vikings will get some respect. Maybe. The Vikes had a chance to arrive on the scene against the Bears earlier this year and choked that away. It will say a lot about this team in how they respond to another high-pressure situation. If they win, they have San Fran, Green Bay, Miami, and Arizona next. They could be 9-2 going up against the Bears on December 3rd. I smell a flex game! I'll leave this prediction with one more tidbit: The Broncos offense picked apart the Pats defense. I'll say that again.

The Broncos offense picked apart the Pats defense.

Arizona (+3 1/2) over GREEN BAY
People are piling on the Cards as the worst team in the NFL simply because they lost to Oakland. Granted, that is about as bad as it gets. But Arizona was coming off a stomach-punch loss. They still have a remarkably poised quarterback, talented skill players, and a coach that doesn't quit until the postseason. I really don't think Arizona's as bad as what people make them out to be. A low-profile game like this is just what they need to get back on track.

Seattle (+5 1/2) over KANSAS CITY
This is an exercise in functioning in the surreal netherworld. Seneca Wallace is starting for the Seahawks. And I'm picking them. That's weird enough. But I'm picking them because he's going against rookie quarterback (and Chiefs third-stringer) Brodie Croyle. That's getting weirder. The real kicker is that if Damon Huard was starting, I'd pick the Chiefs. Damon Huard. Did anybody outside of KC even remember that this guy was still in football at the beginning of the season? When did he become a difference maker? What the heck is going on here?!

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

Indianapolis (+2 1/2) over DENVER
Last time I checked, Indy was still undefeated, and Denver was not. Last time I checked, Indy still owned the Broncos. Last time I checked, Jake Plummer was still quarterbacking one of the most anemic offenses in football. Last time I checked, the forecast for Denver on Sunday is 69 degrees and sunny. Oddsmakers have this one ALL wrong.

Pittsburgh (-8 1/2) over OAKLAND
I was wrong about this last week, but I'm going to keep with it--

Duh.

1 comment:

pBerry said...

You want to go to an Air Force Hockey game sometime? We go quite a bit.